Readers - this tutorial has been a LONG time coming! Ever since I posted about making my own cupcake wrappers (a long time ago, admittedly), I've received tons of questions about them. Finally - some instructions and a template for all of you!!! These wrappers can be time consuming to make, but can really go a long way to dress up your cupcakes.
- Wrapper Template - Download Here! This template makes a wrapper that hooks together, and will hold all by itself (just like the laser cut wrappers). No tape necessary!
- Decorative Paper - really anything will do! I've made wrappers out of scrapbook paper, decorative plastic sheets, and regular paper. I prefer to use a heavier weight material (like scrapbook paper) - you'll want something that will hold its shape, and won't show grease through the paper if your cupcake or frosting touches it.
- Scissors: for cutting out your wrappers, of course. For those of you who have cutting machines (like the Craft Robo or Silhouette), you should be able to create cut files pretty easily from my template.
- Exacto Knife - for cutting out the slot that the wrapper tab will fit into.
- Fancy Design Scissors - you'll use these scissors to create decorative top edges for your wrappers. These are totally optional. I have tons of these scissors! Fiskars makes decent ones, that aren't too expensive.
- Other decorating materials / decorative elements: you can get as creative as you like when it comes to decorating your wrappers! I chose to embellish the wrappers you see in this post with tiny pinwheels, a flower I cut out of the paper I was using, and flat-back Swarovski crystals. Just a few things you might consider using - rubber stamps and ink, paper punches (these come in pretty much any shape you can imagine!), pretty stickers, etc. Use your imagination here!
- Download my handy template, and trace onto cardboard (I used part of a bakery box). Cut the tab and slot carefully.
- Trace template on the wrapper paper of your choosing with a pencil. You'll want to erase any leftover marks after you cut out your wrappers.
- Cut out your wrappers, and again - cut the tab and slot carefully.
- Hook the tab into the slot - and voila! A cupcake wrapper! You may need to adjust the size of the tab/slot to make them fit together.
- Cut the top of the wrapper with your decorative scissors, and embellish as you like.