Lemon Curd


I am in love with this lemon curd. Super lemony (obviously), perfectly creamy, silky, and smooth. It has great body and texture, is light but rich, and not too sweet. I'd be lying if I told that I didn't eat a giant spoonful of the stuff as soon as I made my latest batch!

I use a lot of egg whites for baking (and for omelette-making), which means that I'm often left with many leftover egg yolks. I hate seeing things go to waste, and I try hard to create something out of everything. The perfect remedy for lonely egg yolks? Lemon curd! If you've never had lemon curd before - please, please make this. It'll change your life. Though the name leaves something to be desired ("curd" isn't my favorite word), this creamy, bright, custard-like treat is absolutely delicious. It is wonderful as cake or tart filling, the perfect match for cream scones, or simply stunning when eaten straight off of a spoon. Not like I'd know from personal experience or anything!

Lemon Curd

Yield:1 cup

Ingredients

  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
  • 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • 85g (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Method

  1. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl; set aside.
  2. Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan.
  3. Add the butter, place over low heat, and whisk constantly until butter melts.
  4. Switch to a rubber spatula. Continue to stir constantly, being sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pot with the spatula, until the mixture is jelly-like in thickness, and holds its shape when a dollop is dropped from the spatula.
  5. Immediately remove from heat, and press through mesh strainer. Press plastic wrap onto surface, and refrigerate.
  6. Store in the refrigerator, and use within 1 week as a cake filling, accompaniment to cream scones, straight off a spoon, etc.

Note

If cooking your lemon curd over direct heat makes you nervous, feel free to cook the curd in a double boiler. It'll take a bit longer for the curd to come to a jelly-like consistency, but it's a gentler way to cook the curd, with lesser risk of lemon-flavored scrambled eggs!

Source: Adapted from David Lebovitz

Print Recipe

2 comments:

Milk and Honey said...

I have a giant lemon tree and my own hens - this is so going to happen chez moi.

Kristen said...

Ooohhh, I have total backyard envy! Let me know how the curd comes out when you try it!