First off - happy, happy Mother's Day to all the mamas out there! We love you!
Love really big, bright flavor? Then this amazing veggie-loaded sandwich is for you!
Salty feta and oil-cured olives are balanced perfectly by a bright, fresh herb salad and vinegary pickled beets and capers. Roasted eggplant adds some heartiness, and a smear of garlic mayo gives this sandwich an extra burst of flavor that really sets it apart. To really bring this sandwich to the next level, make your own focaccia bread. Keep the focaccia toppings simple - I opted for sea salt and fresh rosemary - no need to compete with the full-flavored fillings.
Roasted Eggplant & Herb Salad SandwichesYield: 4 sandwiches
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 lbs), sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mixed tender fresh herbs of your choice, torn if large (basil, mint, flat leaf parsley, dill etc)
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled beets
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-cured olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or sliced
- 4 6x4" pieces focaccia bread, split
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place eggplant slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub both sides with olive oil.
- Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Roast until golden and tender, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool.
Prepare Garlic Mayonnaise & Herb Salad
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, and sherry in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the scallions, herbs, beets, olives, capers, and oil.
Assemble & Serve
- Spread cut sides of focaccia bread with garlic mayo.
- Layer eggplant, feta, and the herb salad on top of the bottom half of the focaccia. Cover with top half.
Source: Adapted from Bon Appétit, April 2013