Savory Sunday: Guacamole Burgers


I love a great burger, and I have to say - I'm pretty picky about my meat. Quality matters a lot to me, and whenever possible, I like to know that the meat I'm eating is sourced locally, and that the animals were treated well. I had planned on making these burgers earlier in the week, but the avocados were rock hard at the grocery store, so alas, I had to wait. And, I'm sure glad I was forced to wait, because it gave me the opportunity to stop by the butcher shop that I had just learned about, that's only half a mile away from my house. The place is immaculate, and features local, pastured raised meat. I think I've found my butcher!

If you love guacamole, you'll adore these burgers. I like to season my burgers simply - either using Montreal Steak Seasoning, or just kosher salt and freshly ground pepper - and then add lots of toppings. Guacamole can be customized to your tastes; the ingredients listed below will show you what I was in the mood for, but avocado, lime juice, and salt & pepper alone is delicious. And depending on how much guacamole you like on your burgers, you just might end up with some leftover to enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips.


Guacamole Burgers

Yield: 4 burgers

Ingredients

Burgers
  • 1 1/4 lbs (20 oz) ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 4 burger buns (we enjoyed our burgers with some homemade sourdough whole wheat buns)
  • Optional toppings: cheddar cheese, tomato, red onion, arugula or lettuce
Guacamole
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced, ribs and seeds removed
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Salt & pepper, to taste

Prepare Guacamole

  1. Cut avocados in half, remove seed, and peel. Place the avocado pulp in a medium sized bowl, and add lime juice.
  2. Mash the avocado and juice together with a fork.
  3. Add in the remaining ingredients, and mix.
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Prepare Burgers

  1. Mix ground beef with seasoning. Form four 5 ounce burgers.
  2. Cook to perfection, using whatever method you like.  I cooked mine in a skillet: heat skillet over high heat. Once hot, add burgers (this will create a decent amount of smoke; be sure to turn on your range hood fan, if you have one, and open some windows. No need to set off the fire alarm!).  Reduce heat to medium-high/medium, and cook, flipping once, 4 minutes per side (if you're adding cheese, do it immediately after flipping). Remove from pan, and let rest to bring up to medium.

Assemble & Serve

  1. While burgers are resting, toast hamburger buns.
  2. Place burger on bottom half of bun. Add a hefty dollop of guacamole, and then add other toppings - tomato, red onion, arugula or lettuce. Top with other half of bun.
  3. Enjoy immediately!

Print Recipe

2 comments:

Christine {Pure Joy} said...

So happy to see you blogging again, Kristen : )

Kristen said...

Hi Christine!! Yeah! It's nice to be back and blogging :) Hope things with you are well!